COOKING CLASSES (FORMAT)
Cooking classes at The Touraco Table cater for one up to ten participants.
All single-course classes are R300 pp.
All double-course classes R500 pp.
Please note that the Mayonnaise class (R200 pp), the Baked Alaska class (R300 pp) and the Superb Sauce class (R300 pp) cannot be combined with other classes for technical reasons, and are therefore automatically single-course classes.
In this 3-hour hands-on class, we briefly look at the interesting history of mayonnaise; we learn how to make authentic, traditional standard and vegan mayonnaises (by hand only), and we look at many of their variations; we look at how we can use mayonnaise and we prepare various hors-d’oeuvres for the occasion. No one leaves the class until they know how to make mayonnaise from scratch. Making mayonnaise, a life-skill, only takes a few minutes to complete, whether on a camping trip (with no electricity), at home or at friends’ places, with always excellent results: a diverse sauce for cold starters and mains.
In this 3-hour hands-on class, we learn how to make a complete three-part dessert in a ramekin. The dramatic baked Alaska is simple yet always makes a long-lasting impression. To make this dessert, you learn about Swiss roll, custard-based vanilla ice cream and Swiss meringue, all made from scratch.
In this 3-hour hands-on class, we learn how to make the life-saving poivrade sauce which is the perfect accompaniment for all red and game meats; we learn how to make the Béarnaise sauce which is the perfect accompaniment for salmon, chicken, eggs, vegetables and much more; and finally, we also learn how to make the delicious and luxurious zabaglione dessert sauce which can be poured over berries and fruit in season, or simply sipped in a cocktail glass.
For the single- or double-course classes, participants can choose between:
(V) = Vegetarian / (DF) = Dairy-Free
- Bœuf Bourguignon (DF): In this class, you learn how to make a delectable French classic with beef simmered in a red wine, bacon, carrot and mushroom sauce. Tips are given on the cuts of meat and how to deal with cooking time issues.
- Cashew Nut Ball Curry (V&DF): In this class, you learn how to make an authentic vegetarian cashew nut ball curry. This style of curry can be adapted to use different meats or vegetables. Before cooking, we learn about some of the spices used in curry-making.
- Cheese Soufflé (V): In this class, you learn how to make the chubby cheese soufflé, a superb French entrée made with béchamel sauce, eggs and Emmenthal cheese.
- Chicken Curry (DF): In this class, you learn how to make a creamy dairy-free North-Indian style chicken curry. Before cooking, we learn about some of the spices used in curry-making.
- Chocolate Mousse (V&DF): This delectable classic dessert is made with dark chocolate, egg and butter… and nothing else! It’s all about technique. Take up the challenge!
- Fish Mousseline & Red Pepper Sauce: In this class, you learn how to make a fish mousseline with eggs, cream and milk, and its superb red pepper sauce.
- Gratin Savoyard (V): In this class, you learn how to layer potatoes, Emmenthal cheese and other ingredients to make the perfect layered potato dish. Always a huge winner with everyone.
- Green Thai Chicken Curry & Jasmine Rice (DF): In this class, you learn how to make an authentic green Thai chicken curry using authentic ingredients, with a few tips in the process.
- Green Thai Veg Curry & Jasmine Rice (V&DF): In this class, you learn how to make an authentic green Thai vegetable curry using authentic ingredients, with a few tips in the process.
- Normandy-Style Chicken with Apples: In this class, you learn how to make the classic Normandy-style chicken casserole with bacon, celery, apples, brandy and cider.
- Persian Rice & Dhal (V&DF): In this class, we combine Persian excellence with Indian distinction, and learn how to make the perfect shivid polo, a Persian basmati and dill rice dish with tahdig (crispy crust of potatoes fried at the bottom of the rice dish), and the most flavourful dhal. This meal combination will have your vegan and vegetarian table guests begging for more.
- Pommes Dauphines (V): That’s what happens when you combine mash potato with choux pastry, with the most satisfying results. You just can’t beat a crispy outside with a fluffy inside.
Examples of typical double-course classes:
- Cheese Soufflé + Chocolate Mousse
- Boeuf Bourguignon + Gratin Savoyard
- Normandy-style Chicken + Pommes Dauphines
- Cashew Nut Ball Curry + Persian Rice & Dhal
- Chicken Curry + Persian Rice & Dhal
- Chocolate Mousse + Zabaglione Sauce
**Please note that participants in a group must all agree on the single- or double-course class they would like to take (i.e. we can't mix and match per participant within a group).**